St. Mark's Church (Serbian: Црква Светог Марка / Crkva Svetog Marka) is a Serb Orthodox place of worship in Belgrade. The church is located in the Tašmajdan park, near the Parliament of Serbia.
St. Mark's Church was built from 1931 to 1940 on the site of an older church (1835). It was designed in the Serbo-Byzantine style by the architects, Petar and Branko Krstić, and it is highly reminiscent of the Gračanica monastery. At the south end of the church there is a sarcophagus with the remains of the Serbian Emperor Stefan Dušan (1331 – 1346), while at the north end there is a white marble crypt containing the body of Patriarch German Đorić (1899 - 1991).
St. Mark's Church is home to one of the most valuable collections of Serbian 18th and 19th century icons.
4 years ago